We care about football
We’re going to work hard to make you a better footballer. But we’re going to work harder to help you become a better person. Our intensive Football and Leadership Programs offered to our Football Academy students include 4 football sessions and 1 leadership session per week, within the school curriculum. Registrations are now open, see below to find out how to register for the Football Academy.
The SCBC Football Program is built on three pillars:
All pillars are underpinned by humility and service.
We find talented players and develop them to become elite footballers.
Practically, this is delivered in 4 football sessions and 1 leadership session per week, within the school curriculum, in the following phases:
Years 3 to 7 Skill Acquisition Phase
The foundation of the Skill Acquisition Phase is built upon:
- The coach focusing extensively on providing a solid foundation of technical skill.
- If the player does not gain this skill foundation during this phase it will be very difficult to make up later.
- No amount of fitness or competitive spirit will ever compensate for deficiencies in functional game skills.
At this age the children are ready for a more structured approach to training. In every theme based session, the focus is on one of the core skills, from the beginning until the end of the session.
Years 8 to 11 Game Training Phase
The Game Training Phase has two main objectives:
- Preparing players for senior football by teaching them to apply functional game skills in a team setting using 1-4-3-3 as the preferred formation
- Developing tactical awareness, perception and decision-making through a game-related approach to training.
Year 12 Performance Phase
In the performance phase, the main focus for the coach should be to:
- Prepare teams for a competitive environment where winning has become the main aim
- Train to focus on solving football problems, based on match analysis
- Integrate FOOTBALL CONDITIONING as a key part of the program
We engage the services of football specialists and allow their experiences, knowledge and qualifications to develop the student-athlete and assist them to reach their maximum potential.
Matthew BrookDirector of Football
- FFA/AFC A Licence
- Currently Studying Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
- FFA Talent ID Course
- NZFA Youth Modules
- State U14 Head Coach 2015, 2016, 2019
- National Championship Runners up 2015, 2016
- Winners of National Championship 2019
- Football West Talent Support Program Head Coach 2018-2020
- Technical Director Rockingham City 2015-18 & 2020
- Academy Coach at Burnley FC Academy Australasia 2012-2015
Chris ThackrayPrimary Football Coordinator
- FFA/AFC B Licence
- Bachelor of Arts (Sports Development)
- Currently Studying Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- Previous Technical Director at Balcatta FC and Cockburn City Soccer Club
- Burnley FC Academy Australasia – Development Officer
- State U14 Assistant Coach
- Worked under current Brighton & Hove Albion manager Graham Potter at Leeds Metropolitan University
Doug HeskethGirls Football Coordinator
- FFA/AFC B Licence
- Diploma in Frontline Management
- NPL WA 2013 Winner as Head Coach of Stirling Macedonia
- 2015 State League Division 1 Winner Head Coach of Mandurah City FC
- 2016 State League Division 1 Runner-up Head Coach of Mandurah City FC
- 2000-2002 Perth Glory Academy Coach under the direction of Frank Arok, former National Socceroos Coach
Dave WhalleyHead of Goalkeeping
- FFA/AFC C Licence
- Level 2 Advanced GK - FFA/AFC
- Coaching Mark Birighetti (Current Central Coast Mariners, Previous Socceroo), Miranda Templeman (Current Adelaide United and Junior Matilda), Chris Barty (W.A. Pararoos & National Pararoos), and Alex Dunn (Inglewood United GK and NPL WA GK of the year for three consecutive years)
- Working with Central Coast Mariners Coaching staff v Perth Glory 2019/20 Season
- Current Owner of Dave Whalley GK
- FFA/AFC C Licence
- Certificate II in Sports Coaching
- SSWA State Schoolboys Intermediate Boys Champions
- U14 Football West State Cup Champions Rockingham City FC
- WA State League Division 1 Night Series Winner Mandurah City FC
Charli WainwrightAssistant Coach - Girls
- Captain State U18 at Interstate Football Tournament
- Captain of Murdoch University Melville Women’s NPL 1st Team
- Winner of State Cup, NPL Women’s League and Top Four Cup 2021
- Young Player of the Year Queens Park 2019
- Captained SCBC Senior Girls to ACC
Championship and SSWA Shield Title 2021
Entrance to the Programme
Entrance to this selective program is based on performance at trails where athletes are assessed on their skills.
The SCBC Football Academy ensures that aspiring footballers are offered an opportunity to train and be coached by professional Football coaches to become professional footballers while achieving their best academically.
Applications Open: Term 4, 2022. Click Here to apply.
Application Close: 24 March 2023
Trials: April 2023
Interview: May 2023
Intake Year: 2024