We care about football
We’re going to work hard to make you a better footballer. But we’re going to work harder to help you become a better person. Our intensive Football and Leadership Programs offered to our Football Academy students include 4 football sessions and 1 leadership session per week, within the school curriculum.
The SCBC Football Program is built on three pillars:
All pillars are underpinned by humility and service.
We find talented players and develop them to become elite footballers.
Practically, this is delivered in 4 football sessions and 1 leadership session per week, within the school curriculum, in the following phases:
Years 3 to 7 Skill Acquisition Phase
The foundation of the Skill Acquisition Phase is built upon:
- The coach focusing extensively on providing a solid foundation of technical skill.
- If the player does not gain this skill foundation during this phase it will be very difficult to make up later.
- No amount of fitness or competitive spirit will ever compensate for deficiencies in functional game skills.
At this age the children are ready for a more structured approach to training. In every theme based session, the focus is on one of the core skills, from the beginning until the end of the session.
Years 8 to 11 Game Training Phase
The Game Training Phase has two main objectives:
- Preparing players for senior football by teaching them to apply functional game skills in a team setting using 1-4-3-3 as the preferred formation
- Developing tactical awareness, perception and decision-making through a game-related approach to training.
Year 12 Performance Phase
In the performance phase, the main focus for the coach should be to:
- Prepare teams for a competitive environment where winning has become the main aim
- Train to focus on solving football problems, based on match analysis
- Integrate FOOTBALL CONDITIONING as a key part of the program
We engage the services of football specialists and allow their experiences, knowledge and qualifications to develop the student-athlete and assist them to reach their maximum potential.
Stephen PosthumaDirector of Football
"As Director of Football, I take seriously our duty of care to promote leadership principles that guide and shape character so the student is ready for excellence in life. We’re privileged to have coaching delivered by a team of experienced professionals that will provide the platform to succeed as we continue to attract quality players."
Matthew BrookTechnical Director
FFA / AFC B-Licence
“We get the opportunity to share our passion for football and to help students grow in the SCBC style.”
Chris ThackrayHead Coach –SAP
FFA / AFC B-Licence
“Don’t worry about what you can’t control. Focus on what you can control. Your attitude, your effort and your focus”
FFA C Licence
FA Level 1
FA Youth award module 1
“Coaching the SCBC way will mould the future generation of footballers to succeed on and off the pitch”
Dave WhalleyGoal Keeping Coach
FFA Advanced Level 2 Goalkeeping
Head of Goalkeeping
"SCBC offer a fantastic development program for all aspiring goalkeepers and outfield players. Look to always give your best in every training session and game. You never know who is watching! Success never comes easily"
“As a former student/player at SCBC to now being a part of the coaching team. I have really been able to witness firsthand the impact coaches can have on an individual’s life.”