We care about football
We’re going to work hard to make you a better footballer. But we’re going to work harder to help you become a better person. Our specialist program offers Football Academy students high quality education in the form of coaching sessions, strength and conditioning, and football theory delivered within the school curriculum.
The SCBC Football Program is built on three pillars:
All pillars are underpinned by humility and service.
The Football Academy aims to develop students into the highest quality footballers, both on and off the pitch.
Years 3 to 7 Skill Acquisition Phase
The foundation of the Skill Acquisition Phase is built upon:
- The coach focusing extensively on providing a solid foundation of technical skill.
- If the player does not gain this skill foundation during this phase it will be very difficult to make up later.
- No amount of fitness or competitive spirit will ever compensate for deficiencies in functional game skills.
At this age the children are ready for a more structured approach to training. In every theme based session, the focus is on one of the core skills, from the beginning until the end of the session.
Years 8 to 11 Game Training Phase
The Game Training Phase has two main objectives:
- Preparing players for senior football by teaching them to apply functional game skills in a team setting using 1-4-3-3 as the preferred formation
- Developing tactical awareness, perception and decision-making through a game-related approach to training.
Year 12 Performance Phase
In the performance phase, the main focus for the coach should be to:
- Prepare teams for a competitive environment where winning has become the main aim
- Train to focus on solving football problems, based on match analysis
- Integrate FOOTBALL CONDITIONING as a key part of the program
Entrance to the Programme
Entrance to this selective program is based on performance at trails where athletes are assessed on their skills.
The SCBC Football Academy ensures that aspiring footballers are offered an opportunity to train and be coached by professional Football coaches to become professional footballers while achieving their best academically.
Applications Close: February 2024
Intake Year: 2025
Please note that placement into the Football Academy is a full fee paying position.
If you wish to apply for the Secondary Sporting Scholarship find out more here.
We offer the highest quality coaching, with staff using their experiences, knowledge and qualifications to develop the student-athlete and assist them to reach their maximum potential.
Doug HeskethGirls Football Coordinator
- FFA/AFC B Licence
- Diploma in Frontline Management
- NPL WA 2013 Winner as Head Coach of Stirling Macedonia
- 2015 State League Division 1 Winner Head Coach of Mandurah City FC
- 2016 State League Division 1 Runner-up Head Coach of Mandurah City FC
- 2000-2002 Perth Glory Academy Coach under the direction of Frank Arok, former National Socceroos Coach
Matthew BrookDirector of Football
- FFA/AFC A Licence
- Currently Studying Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
- FFA Talent ID Course
- NZFA Youth Modules
- State U14 Head Coach 2015, 2016, 2019
- National Championship Runners up 2015, 2016
- Winners of National Championship 2019
- Football West Talent Support Program Head Coach 2018-2020
- Technical Director Rockingham City 2015-18 & 2020
- Academy Coach at Burnley FC Academy Australasia 2012-2015
Chris ThackrayPrimary Football Coordinator
- FFA/AFC B Licence
- Bachelor of Arts (Sports Development)
- Currently Studying Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- Previous Technical Director at Balcatta FC and Cockburn City Soccer Club
- Burnley FC Academy Australasia – Development Officer
- State U14 Assistant Coach
- Worked under current Brighton & Hove Albion manager Graham Potter at Leeds Metropolitan University
Charli WainwrightFootball Coach
- Captain State U18 at Interstate Football Tournament
- Captain of Murdoch University Melville Women’s NPL 1st Team
- Winner of State Cup, NPL Women’s League and Top Four Cup 2021
- Young Player of the Year Queens Park 2019
- Captained SCBC Senior Girls to ACC
Championship and SSWA Shield Title 2021