We care about football
We’re going to work hard to make you a better footballer. But we’re going to work harder to help you become a better person. Our intensive Football and Leadership Programs offered to our Football Academy students include 4 football sessions and 1 leadership session per week, within the school curriculum.
The SCBC Football Program is built on three pillars:
All pillars are underpinned by humility and service.
We find talented players and develop them to become elite footballers.
Practically, this is delivered in 4 football sessions and 1 leadership session per week, within the school curriculum, in the following phases:
Years 3 to 7 Skill Acquisition Phase
The foundation of the Skill Acquisition Phase is built upon:
- The coach focusing extensively on providing a solid foundation of technical skill.
- If the player does not gain this skill foundation during this phase it will be very difficult to make up later.
- No amount of fitness or competitive spirit will ever compensate for deficiencies in functional game skills.
At this age the children are ready for a more structured approach to training. In every theme based session, the focus is on one of the core skills, from the beginning until the end of the session.
Years 8 to 11 Game Training Phase
The Game Training Phase has two main objectives:
- Preparing players for senior football by teaching them to apply functional game skills in a team setting using 1-4-3-3 as the preferred formation
- Developing tactical awareness, perception and decision-making through a game-related approach to training.
Year 12 Performance Phase
In the performance phase, the main focus for the coach should be to:
- Prepare teams for a competitive environment where winning has become the main aim
- Train to focus on solving football problems, based on match analysis
- Integrate FOOTBALL CONDITIONING as a key part of the program
We engage the services of football specialists and allow their experiences, knowledge and qualifications to develop the student-athlete and assist them to reach their maximum potential.
Matthew BrookDirector of Football
- FFA/AFC A Licence
- Currently Studying Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
- FFA Talent ID Course
- NZFA Youth Modules
- State U14 Head Coach 2015, 2016, 2019
- National Championship Runners up 2015, 2016
- Winners of National Championship 2019
- Football West Talent Support Program Head Coach 2018-2020
- Technical Director Rockingham City 2015-18 & 2020
- Academy Coach at Burnley FC Academy Australasia 2012-2015
Chris ThackrayPrimary Football Coordinator
- FFA/AFC B Licence
- Bachelor of Arts (Sports Development)
- Currently Studying Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- Previous Technical Director at Balcatta FC and Cockburn City Soccer Club
- Burnley FC Academy Australasia – Development Officer
- State U14 Assistant Coach
- Worked under current Brighton & Hove Albion manager Graham Potter at Leeds Metropolitan University
Doug HeskethGirls Football Coordinator
- FFA/AFC B Licence
- Diploma in Frontline Management
- NPL WA 2013 Winner as Head Coach of Stirling Macedonia
- 2015 State League Division 1 Winner Head Coach of Mandurah City FC
- 2016 State League Division 1 Runner-up Head Coach of Mandurah City FC
- 2000-2002 Perth Glory Academy Coach under the direction of Frank Arok, former National Socceroos Coach
Dave WhalleyHead of Goalkeeping
- FFA/AFC C Licence
- Level 2 Advanced GK - FFA/AFC
- Coaching Mark Birighetti (Current Central Coast Mariners, Previous Socceroo), Miranda Templeman (Current Adelaide United and Junior Matilda), Chris Barty (W.A. Pararoos & National Pararoos), and Alex Dunn (Inglewood United GK and NPL WA GK of the year for three consecutive years)
- Working with Central Coast Mariners Coaching staff v Perth Glory 2019/20 Season
- Current Owner of Dave Whalley GK
- FFA/AFC C Licence
- Certificate II in Sports Coaching
- SSWA State Schoolboys Intermediate Boys Champions
- U14 Football West State Cup Champions Rockingham City FC
- WA State League Division 1 Night Series Winner Mandurah City FC
Charli WainwrightAssistant Coach - Girls
- Captain State U18 at Interstate Football Tournament
- Captain of Murdoch University Melville Women’s NPL 1st Team
- Winner of State Cup, NPL Women’s League and Top Four Cup 2021
- Young Player of the Year Queens Park 2019
- Captained SCBC Senior Girls to ACC
Championship and SSWA Shield Title 2021