Wellbeing at South Coast Baptist College
Wellbeing and education are uniquely entwined. Investment in one will yield positive results in the other. At South Coast Baptist College we’re a thriving Christian community. We take the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing of all students seriously because all students matter to God. We want to see our students feel well, function well, and be compassionate to others. Students who experience wellbeing are more willing and able to learn, leading to improved academic results and life opportunities.
SCBC Wellbeing Infographics - SCBC Health Education Infographics
What does wellbeing look like at SCBC?
Wellbeing is a multi-faceted concept that recognises a mix of individual, group and environmental dynamics. It’s a positive view of what it means to be a human.
South Coast Baptist College seeks to promote wellbeing, prevent poor health and intervene early when issues are identified. The diagram below shows the interaction between SCBC strategies, methods and initiatives and the wellbeing of each individual.
A Positive Environment
- Caring and supportive Christian staff
- Policies and procedures emphasising student flourishing
- Well maintained grounds and resources
- Nature-play areas for creative, interactive experiences (Early Learning Centre and Primary)
- Community/Special events – Open Day, Harmony Day, Outdoor Classroom Day, Assemblies, R U Ok Day, Year Group/Form Class Social Activities and Excursions (Secondary)
- Parent involvement – Class Connect Parents, The Fathering Project, Volunteering
- A range of camps and trips – local, national and international
- Year 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 11 Camps
- Yr 6/7 Sydney Canberra Trip
- Philippines Missionary Trip & Bali Community Service Trip
- The ‘Be You’ mental health team reviewing College activities and leading new initiatives
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) program
- A range of sport related opportunities – community sport, carnivals, elite Football and Gymnastics
- A range of music related opportunities – vocal academy program, instrumental tuition, performances and professional pathways
- Positive Education Enhanced Curriculum (Primary)
- Gratitude, Empathy, Mindfulness (GEM) Curriculum (Secondary)
- Parent Seminars eg - Cyber Safety, Power of Positive Parenting, Protective Behaviours, Healthy Eating
- Health and Christian Living Lessons
- Guest Speakers and Talks relating to student focussed issues and wellbeing matters
Targeted Early Intervention
- Screening – Speech, Vision, Dental
- Data gathering and analysis
- Clear referral processes and pathways
Professional Intervention through the Wellbeing Support Team
The Wellbeing Support Team is a multidisciplinary team of professionals who exist to promote wellbeing, provide specialised advice and offer relevant intervention for those who need it. The team includes Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Counselling, Chaplaincy, Mentoring and Nursing services on site. They work in conjunction with the teaching staff, Learning Support Coordinators, Deputy Heads of School (Wellbeing) and Heads of School.